Saturday, February 20, 2010

the beautiful and the damned.

Revolutionary Road is the story of the Wheelers, a couple floundering in the mediocrity that is mid-level suburbia. Their desperation for change is painfully evident, but their dreams are balanced on a wavering stack of inability, fear, and as more of a side note, infidelity. 


The Wheelers make an impetuous decision to move to Paris, but as the story progresses, Alice Wheeler finds that she's pregnant. Well, bitter arguments ensue, and she ends up struggling to accept that she won't be going anywhere. As though Paris doesn't have hospitals! As though children can't be raised in Europe! 


I think we all have an inherent capacity for excuses, but it takes a certain strength to dream and to fulfill. To begin and then to end. 
Sometimes what we really need is a dramatic, upending change to begin the process of living, to realize that there is a difference between living and merely existing. 


Well, there's more to the story and I hope I'm not giving away too much as I write this. 
And for the record, I stand by my word. It deserved an Oscar!

No comments: